We use essential cookies to make our site work. We'd also like to set analytics cookies that help us make improvements by measuring how you use the site. These will be set only if you accept.

For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our cookies page.

Essential Cookies

Essential cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. For example, the selections you make here about which cookies to accept are stored in a cookie.

You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions.

Analytics Cookies

We'd like to set Google Analytics cookies to help us improve our website by collecting and reporting information on how you use it. The cookies collect information in a way that does not directly identify you.

Third Party Cookies

Third party cookies are ones planted by other websites while using this site. This may occur (for example) where a Twitter or Facebook feed is embedded with a page. Selecting to turn these off will hide such content.

Skip to main content

Historic England info

Grade I listed House. 14th Century to 17th Century, remodelled 1711 (dated on rainwater heads) and extended 1880's and c.1911.
Red brick and plain tiled roofs, with timber framed wings to rear clad with red brick and flint and flint rubble plastered gable also to rear. The work of 1711 encased and maintained the plan of a 14th Century hall house with 2 cross-wings, the rear gable of the service wing survives, extended to enclose staircase. Chalk and flint walls survive to interior of hall.

To the rear of this were added 2 timber framed ranges late 14th Century, extended and remodelled 16th Century - early 20th Century to form a double courtyard, now opened by demolition of enclosing (south-east) 20th Century range. Entrance front (north-west):two storeys and attic on plinth with plat band, raised in centre, projecting wings to left and right with wide modillion eaves cornices to hipped roofs, and dormer in each wing with heavy segmental pediment. The left wing with comtemporary 1 bay extension and separately hipped, with stack at end left, and 2 projecting stacks at end right. Recessed centre rising to battlements with central wooden belfry with ogee cupola. Regular fenestration of 7 glazing bar sashes on first floor, 3 to left, 2 to right and 2 centre with central blocked window space, and 3 glazing bar sashes to left on ground floor, 2 cross-windows to right, and 2 double height glazing bar sashes to centre.

All windows with exposed frames, gauged heads and aprons. Central double three-quarter glazed doors in projecting and battlemented porch, with Corinthian pilasters, pulvinated and enriched frieze, and segmental pediment containing crest of winged demi-bull rampant. To right, early 20th Century ballroom, 1 storey, 2 glazing bar sashes, double span hipped roof. Left return front: 18th Century wing extends for 4 window bays (glazing bar sashes) and ends in banqueting room added c.1911 with 2 hipped dormers. Rear: 3 projecting ranges, to left 16th Century remodelled in 19th Century, timber clad brick and flint; to centre 17th Century timber framed range with red brick infill, 2 storeys, plinth,with plat band and 3 wood casements on each floor;to right, the rear of the 20th Century banqueting hall. To left on rear wall of main range is flint and rubble plastered gable, 2 storeys and garret, with kneelered parapet and irregular fenestration of 19th Century mullioned windows. Interior: a complex house. Crown post roofs survive in the two 14th Century rear wings, the crown posts braced to arched tie beams.

The house was divided in 1374 to allow for a widow's dower house, including a range at "the west end of the south side of the Great Chamber" and "a new Chamber at the East side with cellars built under the same". This corresponds exactly to the 2 timber framed ranges (the easterly with cellar) either side of the surviving gable of the "Great Chamber". The western range is extended by a range countinuously jettied towards the courtyard, but visible only inside the building. Two storey hall at present undecorated, leading from it the Grand Staircase of 1711, spiral balusters around an open well, with renewed moulded handrail and acorn newel heads, and original bolection moulded panelling. Back stairs with turned balusters, dog leg with half landing plan, headed by doorway with keyed arch on imposts. Newel staircase reversing direction of twist at half flight leads to attic. Heavy screen of c.1600 to cellar stairs with turned baluster ornament. 17th Century panelling survives in some upstairs rooms and re-used in 20th Century ballroom. Panelling of c.1711, designed in some cases for specific paintings and tapestries (now sold) survives in most state rooms and main bedrooms, as do 18th Century and early 19th Century fireplaces. The hall and library retain 1711 beamed and plastered ceilings; the drawing room and banquet room with 20th Century plastered ceiling, the ballroom with wooden ceiling of geometric panels. The work of 1711 was carried out for Colonel William Delaune, M.P.

Garden gates, piers and walls. 

Grade II listed Garden gates and walls. 18th Century and late 19th Century. 
Wrought iron gates and brick and flint walls. The main gates south west of Sharsted Court are 18th Century, re-erected here in 1882. Double carriage gates to the drive, with brick piers crested by winged bulls. Either side are pedestrian gates with elaborate overthrows, with brick piers crested by winged lions. The garden wall is here recessed towards the gates. A second 18th Century pedestrian gate with overthrow to north west of house, opposite main door, as an entrance to walled yew garden. The gardens comprise of a series of walled enclosures and terraces with an enclosing boundary wall, some 18th Century walling survives, but most is 19th Century, brick and flint, arcaded around terraces and walled gardens. There are several brick gates dated from 1877 to 1900, and a small conical summerhouse to the north of flint (built into the wall).

Gardener's Cottage 100 yards north of Sharsted Court 
Grade II listed Cottage. Late 19th Century. 
Red brick and timber framed with plaster infill with plain tiled roof. Two storeys with end jetty to right, bargeboarded gable to left and double central stacks to front and rear. Mullioned window with balcony on first floor to left, with gable, supported on attached shafts rising through both storeys, with mullioned oriel on brackets on ground floor below. Boarded door to right with pendant and bargeboard gabled porch. Oriel window on right return front.

Gazebo 50 yards south west of Sharsted Court  
Grade II listed Gazebo. 
1711 for Colonel William Delaune. Red brick and plain tile roof. Square plan. One storey and hipped roof with I glazing bar sash with shutters in each side except the north-east, which has double doors of 4 panels.each, at head of flight of 5 steps. The gazebo stands on a terrace with a round-arched entrance to tunnel below it, and low arcaded brick walls around it in part late 19th Century, with ball finials on piers.